The ecological component of the natural emanations of the Black Sea and the World Ocean
Over the past decades, global climate change has taken a firm place in the public consciousness of many countries among the global environmental problems. The authors analyzed analytical and experimental studies on the role of methane in climate change based on various indicators that are used in scientific research and recommendations for an objective assessment of the role of methane in global ecological planetary processes. A study of the ratio of anthropogenic and natural emissions of methane was carried out, and an assessment of the ratio of various emission sources was carried out. It has been scientifically substantiated that one of the ecologically dangerous sources of Earth degassing is the leakage of methane from the seabed of the world's oceans to the water surface. The data on degassing of the Black Sea water area are presented. Attention is focused on the total emission of methane into the atmosphere and the increase in methane concentration in recent years. In this work, the authors propose a new approach to solving the problem by creating methodological and technical means for capturing methane gas from deposits of gas hydrates, seeps and mud volcanoes with their subsequent transportation and storage for use in industry and energy.
2. Bazhin NM. Metan v atmosfere [Methane in the atmosphere.] Sorosovskiy obrazovatelnyy zhurnal. 2000;6(3):52–57 [in Russian].
3. Gonchar AI, Donchenko SI Martynyuk AG, Shlychek LI. Veroyatnye kharakteristiki rasseyaniya fakelov vybrosa gaza s podvodnogo truboprovoda [Probable scattering characteristics of gas outbursts from a subsea pipeline]. Hydroacoustic journal (Problems, methods and means of researching the World Ocean). 2008;(5):104–114 [in Russian].
4. Hoshovskyi SV, Zurian OV. Gazogidratnye zalezhi: formirovanie, razvedka i osvoenie [Gas hydrate deposits: formation, exploration and development]. Geologiya i poleznye iskopaemye Mirovogo okeana. 2017;4(50):65–78 [in Russian].
5. Hoshovskyi SV, Zurian OV. Razrabotka gaza metana iz sipov, gryazevykh vulkanov i morskikh mestorozhdeniy gazogidratov [Development of methane gas from seeps, mud volcanoes and offshore gas hydrate deposits]. Geologiya i poleznye iskopaemye Mirovogo okeana. 2018;14(3):22–36. DOI:
6. Hoshovskyi SV, Zurian OV. Sposoby i tekhnologii dobychi gaza metana iz akvalnykh gazogidratnykh formirovaniy [Methods and technologies for the extraction of methane gas from aquatic gas hydrate formations]. Mìneralʹnì resursi Ukraïni. 2018;(4):26–31. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31996/mru.2018.4.26-31
7. Lein AYu, Ivanov MV. Krupneyshiy na Zemle metanovyy vodoem [The largest methane reservoir on Earth]. Priroda. 2005;(2):18–26 [in Russian].
8. Makogon YuF. Prirodnye gazovye gidraty: rasprostranenie, modeli obrazovaniya, resursy [Natural Gas Hydrates: Distribution, Formation Models, Resources]. Rossiyskiy khimicheskiy zhurnal. 2003;XLVTI(3):70–79 [in Russian].
9. Ishkov AG (Eds.) Rol metana v izmenenii klimata [The role of methane in climate change] [Internet].[cited 2021 Sep 01] Available from: http://www.vernadsky.ru/files/Publishing/rol_metana_v_izmenenii_klimata.pdf.
10.Shnyukov EF, Starostenko VI, Kobolev VP. Gazogidratonosnost donnykh otlozheniy Chernogo moray [Gas–hydrate content of bottom sediments of the Black Sea]. Geofizicheskiy Zhurnal. 2006;28(6):29– 38 [in Russian].
11.Shnyukov EF, Ziborov AP. Mineralnye bogatstva Chernogo morya [Mineral resources of the Black Sea]. Kiev: OMGOR NAN Ukrainy; 2004. 280 p. [in Russian].
12.Artemov Yu. G., Egorov V. N., Polikarpov G. G., Gulin S. B. (2007). Methane emission to the hydroand atmosphere by gas bubble streams in the Dnieper paleo-delta, the Black Sea. Marine Ecological Journal. 2007;6(3):5–26.
13.FINAL REPORT Critical Evaluation of Default Values for the GHG Emissions of the Natural Gas Supply Chain, 2016. 102 р.
14.Goshovskyi S, Zurian О. Gas hydrates–history of discovery. Devoted to 50th anniversary when the ability of natural gas to form deposits in the earth’s crust in solid gas hydrate state was discovered. Mineralni resursy Ukrainy. 2019;(1):45-49. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31996/mru.2019.1.45-49.